blog-style theme with an emphasis on big images. It’s HTML5-compliant and mobile responsive.
The theme includes a few other adjustments, such as:
- forcing content archives to show no content (as opposed to post content or excerpts);
- hiding the primary navigation menu until an icon is clicked;
- reducing the size of the header when you scroll down even just a little;
- repositioning the post image to above the post title;
- loading the Backstretch script on single posts or pages with a thumbnail image, as shown on this Ambiance Pro post;
- removing Genesis breadcrumbs; and
- customizing the Next and Previous post navigation links.
Many of the adjustments remove things found in other Genesis child themes, so Ambiance Pro might fit well with those who believe that less is more.
Introduced on 3/11/14, Ambiance Pro is a 1 column theme with just a single, full width layout option. Five of the 6 standard Genesis layout options have been removed to simplify content creation. The theme includes a landing page template. Beyond the WordPress standards of custom menus and threaded comments, the Ambiance Pro theme also supports custom headers, custom backgrounds, and a mobile specific menu. One interesting feature of the mobile specific menu is that it’s always on – even visitors with big screens see the mobile menu’s icon.
Ambiance Pro also supports Google web fonts (specifically Lato and Merriweather). The selected fonts add about 175 Kb to the page weight of the site, which is a large addition for typography, but might be acceptable on a blog. Ambiance Pro also loads dashicons which brings the total addition to about 211 Kb on our demo. Our demo site’s home page has total page weight of over 984 Kb with only 2 plugins activated. On a site serving something other than limited demo content, that will increase. If you’re planning to use Ambiance Pro, give serious consideration to reducing the number of fonts loaded.
Here are all of the widget areas for the Ambiance Pro theme:
We’ve got a live demo of the Ambiance Pro theme that shows off its basic features.
The Ambiance Pro theme is available on our plans with premium themes, from PERFORMplus and up.
If you haven't signed up for one of our plans, you can ask pre-sales questions about the Ambiance Pro theme by reaching out via our contact form. Existing customers should use our ticket-based email support to ask questions about the Ambiance Pro theme.